Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Banishing Darkness from Kitchen

Our house has a pretty good size kitchen, but the dark cabinet and dark panels made the space feel dark and stark in spite of the square footage and three windows.



The dark wood trim seemed to absorb all the sunlight before it had chance to shine in.




No matter what we're going to do with the kitchen, it was one of my top priorities to brighten the windows.  I just didn't enjoy being in the room, and that was not a good thing.

This is my new best friend, Citristrip.
Citristrip is a biodegradable and safe paint stripper.



Left trim is the original color and right trim is after the paint and coating removed with Citristrip.




While working, I kept bumping my head against the top wood panel, so I've devised an airbag after almost knocking myself out unconscious.



I've decided to whitewash the window trims instead of painting white because I wanted to brighten the dark wood without completely covering the wood grain.




The darkness before



Darkness gone.


Such a small area, but what a difference!  The lightness around the windows brightened the entire room.


A je to!

No comments:

Post a Comment